Thursday, November 17, 2016

A Note from Tracy Hipps: Holidays Are Special and Dreams Do Come True



Today, 48 hours before one of our biggest events of the year, I am reflecting back on how our Thanksgiving event has grown and changed over the 30 years that I have been involved. The first year I participated in delivering Thanksgiving food into homes I was a young man in Chicago. On that day I made lifelong friends and was inspired to serve people with greater dignity and kindness. That day also sparked inspiration on how to reach as many people as possible through the church. This year I am watching a dream that formed many years ago become a reality. More than 3,000 families will be reached in their homes by 40 different churches and ministries and this will be done out of 27 locations. Churches are partnering with other churches, working together to serve and proclaim the Good News of the Gospel. We (CSM) are honored to be able to organize this event and work with so many wonderful partners and people to reach as many as possible and I am overjoyed to see this dream come true.

I am also dreaming big dreams for CSM and its future. At our last board meeting, our board of directors challenged me to look to the future and develop long-term goals that will impact CSM and the communities we serve for years to come. So, we are seeking the Lord for direction and this September I believe the Lord lead me in a 40 day fast in order to hear His voice the loudest. This is my third time to do a complete fast for 40 days. It was amazing and He has done so much and showed me so much on each of those special days.

Throughout the first 10 days, I felt Him preparing me for this new season. The word gentleness kept appearing in my time with Him. This is one of the fruits of the Spirit but also the hardest one for me to live out. The next 10 days prepared me to serve a dear friend and his ministry. One of my mentors of over 30 years and I were able to bring a team of people together and watch God do some healing and reconciliation in relationships. Days 31-40 held the hardest three days I have experienced in ministry as I worked with a partner church. I did not totally understand what the Lord wanted me to do until I arrived. I was there to continue to pray and fast for the spiritual health of a long time friend and his wife. During the last 10 days the Lord began directing my steps for how we will set a new direction for CSM.

Over the next few years our Ministry Center will become a place of learning and personal growth working with many who have partnered with us for years. A few of our plans include: cooking clubs and workshops, handy-man classes for homeowners, and a shop to teach skills in woodworking. We also have gardens and aquaculture and they will include educational components as well. We want people to come and learn how to live healthy lives, how to serve, how to build, and to see how learning can lift them and help change their life for the better. We are excited about the future of CSM and the communities we serve.

Last week we sent out our annual fundraising letter. In 2016 we raised enough money to make 2,500 connections and we saw so many wonderful things happen in people’s lives because of your commitment to us. This year we are challenged to do even more and are working to raise $90,000 to make 3,000 connections in 2017. This holiday brings new excitement as we plan for the future and prepare for a season celebrating our Lord and Savior. I would like to ask you to pray about the opportunity to join us as we proclaim the Good News of the Gospel to change communities through local churches and see lives changed. Happy Thanksgiving.