Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Long Time KAA Camper Report – Bianca Gaither

Tracy Hipps at KAA Kamp with Simone and Bianca Gaither
The summer of 1991, our youth group from New City Church hopped in a Suburban on the road to the deep woods of Missouri with our youth pastor Tracy Hipps. A long journey was ahead of us. The ride consisted of naps, laughter, chit chat, and a stop along the way, spending the night at a church that fed us and treated us like their own. As we pulled up the next day at KAA, a crowd of loud people wearing costumes came running towards our ride - chanting, dancing, and rocking the truck. Of course, we locked the doors and were determined NOT to let these crazy people in. This was the beginning of a 5-year journey of loading vans every summer heading to Kids Across America. Each year growing and learning in Christ, and getting hyped for Jesus.

This place was like no other place I’d visited before. The music sounded like the music I enjoyed, only they were talking about Jesus. The counselors brought a hype, a joy that I never knew I could feel about God. I was able to experience things that I had never experienced before—
 boat riding, self-defense, tubing, etc. Then came CrossTalk. This was the first time I really experienced what our Savior went through as the actors were hit and thrown to the ground. That first year broke me completely down and I truly knew that I was a child of God and wanted a relationship with him. Each year I anxiously waited for summer so I could head back to Missouri again.

As the years moved along I had the opportunity to continue in our youth ministry and grow in Christ. As I moved through the church youth group, Pastor Hipps and our youth group leaders took us through discipleship training, Bible studies, and built relationships with us while teaching us how to be doers of the Word. This teaching and training lead to me putting what I had learned into action. I then had the opportunity to work in our church organization summer camp as a counselor, teacher, counselor trainer, and then camp director.

Fast forward 22 years; I’m now a mom of my own eleven-year-old daughter. I found out that our church youth group was taking youth to KAA. Of course, Tracy Hipps was the organizer of the trip. I told him that my daughter was going, and he recommended I go as a Kaleo. I agreed and thought to myself, “What in the world am I doing?” However, it gave me a sense of peace knowing that I would be with my baby, so I went.

The night of departure arrived and I was still in disbelief that I was not only going, but going as Mom. As we began to board the buses, my daughter and I realized that we were separated and would be in two different camps. We were both a bit concerned, but decided to go with the flow. God does everything for a reason. You see, I went to visit Simone at her camp one time and she sweetly dismissed me because she was having her own great experience.

Once arriving at camp, I realized that this experience as a Kaleo was a TOTALLY different experience. This “Bubble Bath in Jesus” was both unexpected and much needed. You see, I’m an educator, and the whole philosophy for the camp is that Kaleos pour into the lives of our youth all the time. So they make this time a refresher for us to reboot/rejuvenate so we can continue our work. I had the opportunity to spend time with about 8 other women of God who pour into the lives of youth all year round. I also got the chance to refresh and relax, but also study the Word. The second perk was having the opportunity to get to know and work with 4 amazing teenagers that went with us. I was able to experience Cross Talk, but this time I was on the other side. As I cried with one of my girls and prayed with her to recommit her life, I again was reminded of why KAA is so important and why youth ministry is so important. This experience has allowed me to see ministry happen in full circle. Tracy Hipps sowed the seed into me and now I have the opportunity to sow what I have learned into the lives of other youth. I can honestly say - Youth Ministry Matters!