Thursday, September 14, 2017

Transformation by Cooking Well Together

Healthier and happier - Ms. "T" and Allie Sanderson, class instructor

We went to visit a group of ladies from one of our Cooking Well classes this summer. We discovered that the class participants have retained so much nutrition knowledge and are motivated to take control of their own health. They have been busy losing weight and changing their eating and cooking habits since they graduated from the six-week program. Now, they are watching their salt and sugar intake, cooking with cauliflower, making fresh mango salsa and encouraging their families to get healthy with them!

Here is what they had to say about their Cooking Well experience:

Intentional, interactive and inspiring classes
“This class taught me to apply healthier cooking to help with my diagnosis [MS], and for the health of my family.”

“Even if you get just one person in these class, it does its job.”

“My favorite thing about the class was the unity of the class and embracing our womanhood. It was such a blessing to sit down at the table together to see everyone walk through the door, ready to learn new things.  The food is just the beginning.  It allows us to cleanse in all areas of our lives, to sit down and just heal all of our hurts.”

“We don’t always get a chance to sit and enjoy each other’s company. This class allowed that time for fellowship, and it was so nice.”

Celebrating more birthdays
and better health
“The food and fellowship.  I know how to do new things like cut an onion and make mango salsa.”

“Learned about sugar and salt intake and what’s actually good for our bodies”

“I would love to get my daughter involved.”

 “My biggest takeaway was the different teaching techniques— like how to hold the knife, how to cut the veggies, and the different foods that are healthier like quinoa and cauliflower.”

“Our church benefited from it— we would like to see some of the men get involved.  They don’t tend to take care of themselves.”

“The class excited me to want to try different things and eat healthier. For example, the seasonings! I never would have thought to make my own seasonings without salt. “

Friendships forged in the fire of the kitchen
“The class gave me a re-start to think about health with my new sickness [cancer] and a place to share about what I was going through.”

“We learned about sugar and salt intake and how to use seasonings… to use salt afterwards instead of throughout cooking, and it still tastes good!”

“It gave us a way to unite together and communicate and find out about each other.  I like how we got together and learned and laughed at the same time.”

“This class made me concerned about what to eat and made me eat healthier.  I don’t eat fried foods anymore and I limit my salt”

“Your program taught us how to cook healthy and how we could become healthier. For me, it was an awesome experience that changed my life. It taught me to be healthier. When I found out that I have diabetes and high blood pressure, the doctor told me I needed to lose weight. I have lost 5 and half lbs since the beginning of the classes, and I have continued to lose weight. My doctor wanted to know what I’ve been doing, so I showed him my certificate from the class.”
Generations of change

“We learned about healthy food substitutions, like replacing regular oil with olive oil. Olive oil has a better, deeper taste that I enjoy more than regular oil.

“I see a big difference in the women group at church. I have a good friend who’s eating habits needed to change because of her health and now she’s been exposed to more variety of fruits and vegetables. It was the will of God to bring these healthy foods and vegetables to our church and help us get healthier.”

“I’ve been tricking my husband into eating healthier— like I’ve been using wheat spaghetti—
and my husband hasn’t even noticed!”

Class camaraderie
Discovering mangoes
Careful measuring

Add flavor, not salt!

Better grains - fresh whole wheat pasta demo