Tuesday, March 12, 2019

A Heart For Service


Tracy Hipps leads the volunteers with a message about CSM and prayer before the day starts.
When a church tells you that they have over 200 people with a heart for service available to serve with your ministry it can either incite panic or excitement. But God knows what needs to be accomplished and He provides just the right projects and people to get it done. This year at Shade’s Serve Day 2019, volunteers and members of Shades Mountain Baptist Church worked in, around, and outside of the Christian Service Mission Office. Volunteers began pouring into CSM around 8:00 that morning, ready and eager for the projects at hand! Nearly every inch of the CSM property was filled with volunteers form Shades and leaders from CSM working on over fifteen different projects. These amazing volunteers were able to help us tear down walls and ceilings in the warehouse for our future commercial kitchen, offer the warehouse and office fresh coats of paint, begin building a new deck out back, prepare the gardens for spring planting, sort food for distribution, sort and wrap diapers with Bundles of Hope, and lay flooring to improve office space. This massive group of people included families with children (who pitched in to create hand-crafted Valentine’s Day cards), missionaries in town for the Shades Mountain Global Iniative Conference from all corners of the planet, and lots of people who love to make a difference.

Volunteers worked hard in the cooler sorting food for future distribution.

By noon, everyone was enjoying much deserved ice cream sandwiches and popsicles after a long morning of hard work. We cannot thank Shades Mountain Baptist enough for the continued partnership on Shades Day and throughout the year! We are blessed by the relationships you offer and the multitude of ways God uses this partnership. God continues to use your efforts and faithfulness to advance his Kingdom and multiply his disciples! Thank you all!

REFLECTIONS FROM SHADES SERVE DAY

"I want my son to grow up loving to serve and understanding the value of missions. To me, Shades Serve Day is one of the best places for him to learn those values."
"I like Shades Day because me and my brother get to help people together."



"Our families have been doing Shades Day together for years. First it was just the two of us with our fiances, now it's the two of us with our wives and kids! I love Shades Day because we are able to set aside time to focus on the needs of an organization that is constantly meeting the needs of so many people."
"We all met in our Sunday school class about fifteen years ago at Shades and we started volunteering at Shades Day not long after that. It's been so fun to watch our children grow up together and look forward to this day every year."


"Shades Day is cool because my mom lets me use tools I've never used before. It's also fun to help out here with my friends. My family comes every year, I think we've even been coming since before I was even born!"
 

"I love Shades Day! I think this is like my fifth time coming to Shades Day. It's cool because I meet so many people I didn't even know went to the same church as me. I also really like helping people and my mom says Christian Service Mission is a good place for that."








Photos and story by intern Katie Thiebaud.