Friday, April 22, 2016

Five Years Later

April 27, 2011- A devastating day for so many in our community
It was 5 years ago this month, on April 27, 2011, when multiple tornadoes hit our state and affected thousands of lives. It was 5 years ago when God gave us the assignment to serve those effected by these tornadoes all across the state. CSM served in 42 counties and 106 sites all across Alabama with disaster relief. We helped mobilize 74,000 volunteers and 10 million dollars worth of goods in 18 months. It was 5 years ago, we believe, that the Lord set us on a course that continues today to help serve communities and see them transformed by the gospel and God’s people.

This week marks 5 years of helping families in need, and we are dedicating our 7th new home build on Saturday, April 30, 2016. The Jackson’s are a precious family who lived years in a home essentially destroyed in the storm and God is answering their prayers while affecting hundreds of lives. We will also celebrate with Pratt City community all the progress that has been made in 5 years. CSM has been a part of the gospel impact during these years with churches in that community. Mt. Moriah served meals and shared Christ with thousands of families and we continue to walk with them. Antioch Baptist was at the center of it all, and we have since closely connected with their community development through housing, food and their summer camp program. We have seen many kids grow in their faith who have been a part of their summer program.

Five years ago, God answered my prayers as CSM found its purpose, place, mission and partners for helping build a healthier Birmingham. We are healthier because we don't compromise our values to serve our neighbors; the value of the gospel of Christ affecting every thing we do; the value of responsible care to love people the way our Lord loves us. These values set us on a course that we now have been moving toward for 5 years.

Five years ago, I had a strong faith and today it is stronger. I knew God was in control and today he guides me all along the way. 5 years ago I had hope and today I have seen the hope of Christ change many lives. 5 years ago, I knew God lead me to CSM but was not sure why. But now I know it is to fulfill the promise of seeing thousands of lives affected by the values of His Kingdom that we at CSM live out in the community and to partner with local churches to see the gospel change lives within those communities. 5 years ago I saw God work and now I have seen Him move mountains of people divided and today, more united. 5 years ago I saw the Lord change lives, and today I have seen communities changed because of those life changes.

As we approach the 5th Anniversary of the natural disaster that changed the trajectory of this ministry, I am amazed at what our God has done and more amazed at what He will do when we humble ourselves before Him. I believe not because of what I have seen; I believe because of what He said He would do if we humble ourselves. “For we walk by faith, not by sight.” (II Cor. 5:7)