Monday, April 17, 2017

An Intern's Experience at CSM

Haley and Mr. Beeson after undergrad graduation in May
The term “Samford bubble” was a common phrase thrown around during my time in undergrad as a student, and even though I agree Samford is a different culture; I didn’t realize how much weight the phrase “Samford bubble” had until now.

I have been living in Birmingham for almost five years, attending Samford my undergraduate studies and now for my Master's degree. I had no idea there are multiple areas in downtown Birmingham that are considered a food desert. Because I have a variety of multiple grocery stores within a 10 mile radius from my apartment being so close to a food desert had never occurred to me.

Interning at the Christian Service Mission has opened my eyes in a lot of different aspects that relate to poverty and access to nutrition education. I was exposed to the Birmingham community in a way I haven’t been before and noticed a need for things I take for granted every day-- like proximity to a grocery store.

While researching material for the new CSM Cooking Well Nutrition Program, I was surprised at the current gap between existing nutrition programs and the populations they are trying to reach out to. Nutrition is the foundation for healthy living and it really bothers me that basic nutrition knowledge, and even access to fruits and vegetables wasn’t easily accessible. Because of this practicum rotation, I have a better understanding for the need for a community dietitian, and how the Christian Service Mission makes such a difference in the Birmingham community.

Haley Bishop
Samford Graduate Student
Nutrition and Dietetics