Monday, March 14, 2016

A Surprising God

Michael Bowen - Volunteer Coordinator
“What word or phrase describes God to you 
at this point in your life?”

That was the question posed to the CSM staff during our Monday morning meeting. “Loving... Merciful... Powerful.”  Each of these echoed in the hearts of everyone in the meeting. However, the word that I chose that day was “Surprising.” God never ceases to surprise us in our everyday lives. One day you make a plan and God surprises you with a change to that plan. One day you half-heartedly, and somewhat doubtingly, pray that someone you know with cancer would be healed and then God surprises you by healing that person. God never stops surprising us until we grow to EXPECT God to surprise us. At CSM, we have grown to expect God to surprise us and to continue to make our ministry to the city of Birmingham what it is with miracle after miracle after miracle. But He often manages to surprise us with opportunities greater than we can ask or imagine.
        I manage groups of different sizes, ages, denominations and backgrounds during each of the 52 weeks in a year. Over the last two years of my time at CSM, I have grown accustomed to the adrenaline rush that comes with moving large numbers of people around the city to accomplish a large number of tasks during their time at CSM. During those 52 weeks, with 10,000+ volunteers, hundreds of projects and countless hours spent planning for these events, it is very easy to get caught up in the rush of matching groups to projects and simply accomplishing a project efficiently and cost effectively. It is also typical to think, “How does this project help the community?” or “What person or family living in poverty will we be able to help or teach about Christ today?” These are very normal thoughts for our staff members and our volunteer groups to come to work with each morning; but remember, God will always manage to surprise you.        
         Recently, I had the opportunity to take a volunteer group out onto a worksite. God used this group to continue to teach me a wonderful lesson that I have been in the process of accepting for my entire life. “It's not about the tasks, it's about the people!” We were working on a house in one of our partnering communities where you would expect God to reveal Himself and His plan to those that are out working in His name and for His glory. However, He caught me off guard on this particular day.  During the time I spent with this group on this particular housing project, God was reminding me that His first concern is what He is doing IN me before what He decides to do THROUGH me. The house will get painted without me, the projects and volunteers will be coordinated without me, the Gospel will go forth without me, but sometimes He manages to do something in me while also letting me also be a part of His great plans.   
         While painting this house, I was almost completely distracted by the project until God made it very clear that I was not there to just finish a paint job. Out of the blue, one of the students on this trip began opening up to me about her family, her life and her faith. At that point, I began to catch up with what God was trying to show me. We talked for the better part of two hours as she continued to ask me questions about why I do what I do, how does God play a role in that, what does it mean to “be saved.” All of these questions and more led to me sharing that the love and saving grace of the Lord Jesus Christ is the only reason I do anything in this life. My choosing to work at CSM and “help the least of these” is not based on my desire to do good. If it weren’t for the love of Christ, I would not be trying to help anyone but my selfish self. Even during my time with this group and on this painting project, I considered my time there and how it could be better spent elsewhere, but God surprised me with an incredibly beautiful opportunity. Because of the surprises of God, this young high school girl returned to her hometown after hearing a clear presentation of the Gospel. 
        There is no task, group or calling greater than the opportunity to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ. God recalled to my attention the calling that is so often overlooked in the world of vocational ministry and it just so happens that He reminded me of the reason that Christian Service Mission exists and the reason that I do what I do and I am where I am. That is to use the resources, situations and opportunities that God has blessed us with to share His love and His message with everyone that we come into contact with at CSM. Whether it is someone that we serve, a volunteer or even a co-worker, the love and message of Jesus Christ is always to remain the purpose and mission of our ministry here at Christian Service Mission.