Friday, March 18, 2016

Volunteer Spotlight: Clemson University Navigator's

I sometimes forget what a joy it is to work with college students. They are smart, they are in a great spot in life of figuring out who they are and what they believe and they typically bring an energy and excitement unlike any other age bracket. In a nutshell, that very accurately describes the group of 40 college students that I had the privilege to work with this week. A large group of students from Clemson University joined us at CSM to help us with our food ministry, warehouse organization, construction ministry and gardens! One project after another, all I had to do was say "here is what I want accomplished" and "does that make sense?" Every time I was met with a resounding "yes!" and then I would watch as each of these students became a project manager to accomplish the tasks before them. Thanks to them, a paint project is complete, our new workshop is prepped for windows, our second greenhouse has its beds set up, our warehouse has three aisles completely reorganized, our mother's day packs are made and ready to bless our nursing home partners around the city, and all of us on staff were equally blessed by this group's presence! I told them at the beginning of the week, that it's not about what you accomplish this week, but what you learn that matters to me. I truly believe that this group learned a ton about themselves and their faith during their time here and I can personally vouch for how much work they were able to accomplish as well. Thanks for a great week Clemson Navigators! - Michael Bowen, Volunteer Coordinator